Tofu or Not Tofu...*
This recipe is too good not to share. It appeared in my inbox awhile back from Chow and it's been my favorite go to veggie recipe ever since. I admit I'm pretty new to tofu and this is the best kind - chewy/crispy on the outside, squishy on the inside. I prefer to barely cook the peapods so they stay fresh. The sauce is amazing - spicy, sweetish from the mirin, savory from the garlic and shallots. Hope you enjoy it too.
Spicy Peapod & Sesame Tofu Stirfry
- 1/4c. soy sauce
- 2T. mirin or dry sherry
- 1T. sugar
- 2t. cornstarch
- 1t. rice vinegar
- 3/4t. red chile flakes
- approx. 2T. oil or more (to fry with)
- 1lb. firm tofu, patted dry, cut into big cubes
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1lb. peapods, ends cut off
- 1T. white sesame seeds
1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients, set aside.
2. Heat oil over high til it smokes, add tofu, cook on each side until brown ~3 min. Remove to plate and set aside
3. Reduce heat to medium (change oil if necessary. I like to add a little sesame seed oil). Cook shallots and garlic til brown. Add peapods and seeds - cook til done.
4. Add tofu and sauce, cook until thickened (you can add more water if you like it 'saucier'). Serve immediately over steamed rice.
Serves about 4
*sorry billy s., but it was too good to pass up ;)